- Standing for Fairness: Improving all schools for all students – Corporate competition doesn’t work.
- Fighting for Resources: Getting our students what they need – We must take on the billionaires.
- Strengthening UTLA: Building a UTLA that can fight for our students and our profession.
Issue Areas We Must Engage Through Organizing with Members & Parents
1. Contract Bargaining in LAUSD and Charter Schools
a. Class size, staffing, and educator development/support in LAUSD re-openers for 2015-16, including attention on special education, ELL services, and more.
b. Further pay increases and movement on class size/staffing in LAUSD re-openers for 2016-17.
c. Strong agreements in all UTLA-represented charter schools that are in bargaining.
d. Prepare for huge battle over LAUSD health benefits and full contract renewal in 2017.
2. Shaping LAUSD’s and UTLA-Represented Charters’ LCAPs (Local Control Accountability Plans)
a. Organize coalitions with educators, parents, and community to develop LCAPs in LAUSD and UTLA-represented charters for 2016 – 2019 that support the goals of Schools LA Students Deserve (SLASD).
3. Public School Accountability and Sustainability
a. Fight for basic accountability standards across all publicly-funded schools, such as equity and access for all students and management by the public not by corporations.
b. Fight for basic regulations that create an entire school system that works collaboratively, not competitively, to ensure that all students at all schools are served in a sustainable way.
4. Charter School Educator Organizing and Voice
a. Organize more educators who currently do not have a union into the union.
5. Highlighting and Building Successful School Models
a. Organize around curriculum, school climate, staffing including HHS, teaching not testing, adult and early education, and cultural relevance, including ethnic studies and VAPA, in a full-union-contract environment.
6. School Site Empowerment, Contract Enforcement, Member Rights, and Working Conditions
a. Organize around Local School Leadership Councils, budgets, Prop 39 co-locations, class size, curriculum, bad principals, grievances, Breakfast in the Classroom, clean/safe schools, restorative justice, excessive testing, existing and new sections of contracts and more.
7. Electoral Politics, Legislation, and Broader Social Issues
a. Organize for a state revenue initiative or legislation through the Make It Fair coalition.
b. Organize for LAUSD Board, state legislature, and charter managements to support SLASD.
c. Strengthen PACE, political program, and approach to social issues that affect our students.
8. Building a Stronger UTLA
a. Restructure the UTLA dues and legal programs to prepare us to fight.
b. Organize agency fee-payers to become members of UTLA in the context of Friedrichs case .