Skip to content

Health Coverage

New to LAUSD or returning from leave?

If you are a new district employee or have recently returned from an unpaid Leave of Absence, have you enrolled in the district’s medical, dental, and vision plans?

For those returning from an unpaid leave, you must submit the district’s Health Benefits Enrollment Form. Enrollment is not automatic.

The form is available online at and can be submitted electronically to the district.

Call 213-241-4262 for assistance.

Retirement Healthcare Coverage

The big retirement day is around the bend. You think you’re all set? Before you have that party, be sure you’ve done what is necessary to carry your health benefits into retirement. Here is what you need to know.

To have medical, dental, and vision coverage in retirement, you must:

  • Receive a STRS retirement allowance;
  • Have no lapse in coverage between your last day of work and the first day of retirement; and
  • Meet the service requirements specified on page 201-202 in the UTLA/LAUSD Collective Bargaining Agreement (see box below).

For a retirement package, which includes all necessary forms, please contact the LAUSD Certificated Placement Unit at (213) 241-5100

Retirement STRS Award Letter

When you receive your notification of STRS allowance or “award” letter, send a copy to the LAUSD Health Insurance Section, P.O. Box 512298, Los Angeles, CA 90051-0298.

Life Insurance

Your basic life insurance coverage terminates on the last day of the month in which you are employed. If you wish to convert to an individual policy, contact MetLife Insurance at 866) 492-6983 within 30 days of that date. If you have optional coverage for which you pay, you may convert to a “decreasing term” policy through ReliaStar. Be aware that your coverage will equal only 50 percent of the coverage amount in force while you were actively employed. This amount decreases each year by 10 percent of your original coverage amount. The coverage amount is never less than $5,000.

At Age 65

When you and/or your spouse or domestic partner reach age 65 and you as The Employee are retired, you must enroll and remain enrolled in those parts of Medicare for which you are eligible. This is a requirement of the UTLA-LAUSD collective bargaining agreement. You are required to enroll in Senior Advantage. If you do not qualify for premium-free Medicare Part A either through your own employment or that of your spouse, you may qualify for the CalSTRS Medicare Benefits Program, provided you retire on or before July 1, 2006. The CalSTRS Medicare Benefits Program may pay your Medicare Part A premium, provided you meet certain qualifications. Contact CalSTRS at (800) 228-5453. for further information (click on “Members” under the “Information For” line in the side banner; when that screen comes on, scroll down to “Medicare Premium Payment Program,” and click on the subject you wish to review). You may transfer to Blue Cross, which is not a Medicare-risk plan and requires Part B coverage only. There is a monthly cost to enroll in Medicare Part B. The enrollee must pay the fee; it is not paid by LAUSD.

Retirement & Spouse or Domestic Partner Coverage

Partner coverage:

LAUSD-paid health benefits are for the lifetime of the employee only. If you predecease your spouse, he or she will not be eligible to continue to receive District-paid health benefits. However, he or she may purchase continuation health benefits through the District. Domestic partners are not eligible for this program.